SUTD PhD Programme
With strong research links to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Zhejiang University, the SUTD PhD Programme offers you a chance to collaborate with the best minds in their fields and conduct breakthrough research that will make a difference to the world.
Our fluid, stimulating and open setting creates an environment which places a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary and collaborative research and provides opportunities for industry internships, overseas research attachments and teaching experience.
The SUTD PhD Programme also features:
- Access to multiple world-class faculty with co-supervision flexibility
- Leading-edge research experience through potential overseas research attachments at top universities worldwide
- Close research collaboration and exposure to industry through local or overseas internships
- PhD Industry Internships: PhD students can embark on an Industry Internship Programme (of up to 6 months). This will expose them to have a hands-on experience with industry projects, a broader research scope to supplement their PhD research, network with other research industries and attain course credits for their candidature
- Participation in a multi-disciplinary design experience
- PhD Big-D Project: A task-based, self-driven entrepreneurial programme that aims to transform ideas, inventions and scientific understandings into tangible products, systems and/or services
- Professional development programme and teaching experience
- Attractive scholarship funding
Upon enrolment, students will pursue a PhD under one of our four academic pillars:
- Architecture and Sustainable Design (ASD) – focusing on sustainable architectural and urban solutions to meet the present and future needs of buildings and cities
- Engineering Product Development (EPD) – focusing on innovative technology-intensive products that span multiple disciplines
- Engineering Systems and Design (ESD) – focusing on large-scale complex systems whose performance and function depend on their technology and socio-economic context
- Information Systems Technology and Design (ISTD) – focusing on information systems that interact with the physical world, humans and machines
Students who successfully complete the programme will graduate with a Doctor of Philosophy degree under the same academic pillar.
Candidature Period (Full-time)
- Minimum Residency: 3 years
- Maximum Residency: 5 years
The academic calendar for the PhD Programme starts in September and ends the following August.
Each Academic Year is divided into three semesters where coursework is taken:
- September to December
- January to April
- May to August