Prof. Luo has a strong passion for creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship in research, teaching and practice. In research, he develops and uses complex system theories and methodologies to understand how the architectures of products, processes and ecosystems influence the chances for innovation. In teaching, he developed a course on “Entrepreneurship” and a course on “Innovation”, and has taught them to undergraduate, graduate and executive students from diverse educational and professional backgrounds. In practice, he was a (co-)founder of several start-ups and holds several patents. Prior to joining SUTD, he was a faculty member at New York University.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, PhD, MS.
- Tsinghua University, MS, BS.
- "Reviewers' Favourite" Paper Award, 19th International Conference on Engineering Design, 2013
- Best Dissertation Award, Runner-Up, INFORMS Technology Management Section, 2011
- Best Paper Award, 2nd Place, Annual Conference of Chinese Scholars Association in Management Science & Engineering (CSAMSE), 2010
- Alfred A.H. Keil Fellowship for Wiser Uses of Science and Technology, 2004
- China International Marine Containers (Group) Fellowship, 2003
- Mercedes-Benz Fellowship, 2002
- Special Award for Creativity, Mechanical Innovation Competition, Tsinghua University, 2001
- Jianxi Luo, Alison L. Olechowski, Christopher L. Magee. Forthcoming. Technology-Based Design and Sustainable Economic Growth. Technovation. Forthcoming. [Read]
- Katja Hölttä-Otto, Kevin Otto, Jianxi Luo. 2013. Innovation Differences between New Venture Startups and Incumbent Firms. Proceedings of ICED 2013
- Victor Tang, Jianxi Luo. 2013. Idea Matrix and Creativity Operators. Proceedings of ICED 2013
- Jianxi Luo. 2013. Power-of-Pull of Economic Sectors: A Complex Network Analysis. Complexity, 18(5), 37-47.
- Jianxi Luo. 2013. Which Industries to Bail Out First in Economic Recession? Ranking U.S. Industrial Sectors by the Power-of-Pull. Economic Systems Research. 25(2), 157-169. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo, Carliss Y. Baldwin, Daniel E. Whitney, Christopher L. Magee. 2012. The Architecture of Transaction Networks: A Comparative Analysis of Hierarchy in Two Sectors. Industrial and Corporate Change. 21(6), 1307-1335. [Read]
- Jianxi Luo and Christopher L. Magee. 2011. Detecting Evolving Patterns of Self-Organizing Networks by Flow Hierarchy Measurement. Complexity, 16(6), 53-61. [Read]
- Christopher L. Magee, Pey Kin Leong, Jin Chen, Jianxi Luo, Daniel D. Frey. 2012. Beyond R&D: What Design Adds to a Modern Research University. International Journal of Engineering Education, 28(2), 1-10.
- Matthias Holweg, Jianxi Luo, and Nick Oliver. 2009. The Past, Present and Future of China’s Automotive Industry: A Value Chain Perspective. International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, 2(1/2), 76-118.
- James Winebrake, Sandra Rothenberg, Jianxi Luo, Erin Green. 2008. Automotive Transportation in China: Technology, Policy, Market Dynamics, and Sustainability. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 2(4), 213-233.